Tear stains are a noticeable dark path under the eyes of dogs. These stains can denote a lot of different problems in a dog’s body. Moreover, it is important to consult a veterinarian if your dog has tear stains for a longer duration of time. If your dog has developed it recently then check out the below tips on how to get rid of tear stains.
Tear stains on dogs look dark brown or dark black times in reddish also. They’re mostly more visible on lightly- colored dogs and more horrible on white color dogs. The medical team for the tear stains is Epiphora. Epiphora is a condition in which tears drain down tiny holes on the inner side of the eye. It can have a variety of causes and can be acute or chronic. The reddish stains appear when porphyrin pigment is found in tears and builds up under the eyes. The brownish stains show yeast infection on the skin under the eyes.
Sometimes when our dogs develop an eye infection we don’t care about that. It might lead to serious health issues, the complete structure of the eye can be affected like ear infections, allergies, and so on. But whatever the cause, eye infections are uncomfortable and downright painful to dogs. So, try to provide immediate treatment to avoid complications in your pet.
Causes of Tear stains
The causes of tear stains might include many reasons, like
- pH imbalance
- Poor diet
- Water quality
- Certain medical disorders
Tears overfilling the eyes cause a wetly damped patch surrounding the eyes. Moreover, the damaged part is often visible and the visible sink might cause other types of infection too. If this condition is not taken seriously it might lead to dogs’ blindness. Usually, these tear stains happen commonly in small puppies because of carelessness. So if the problem is in serious condition better consult a veterinarian ophthalmologist.
Treatment and Prevention for Tear stains
The first step to treatment is identifying the root cause and solving it.
- If you feel that your pet has developed some allergies in recent times then you can take it to the veterinary doctor for treatment.
If your dog doesn’t have any underlying issues then you can concentrate on DIY prevention and treatment techniques. Prevention is better than cure, here we have two aspects to focus on, one is hygiene and another thing is the dog’s food diet. So, try to focus on the below-mentioned points to solve this issue on Hygiene.
- Maintain proper hygiene in your pet. Remove the hair under the eyes and trim it shorter as it might go into the dog’s eyes and cause inflammation.
- Keep the dog’s face clean to make sure that the dog’s eyeballs are completely compatible.
- One can also prevent this tear stains problem by cleaning the tears periodically at a proper interval of time. Make sure to clean using the paper towels soaked in lukewarm water. Also, one can use cotton balls instead of paper towels.
- Try to use dog-safe eye wash to remove the irritations. Also, there are multiple products available in the market to remove these stains. So, make sure it is comfortable for your dog. After cleaning, allow the area under the eyes to completely dry.
- Even though we spend lots of money on dog medicine, it can be harmful to dogs, so make sure it is safe to use. Don’t use any product without consulting with your veterinarian.
Each dog is different, not all dogs need to react the same while cleaning. So, observe your dog daily till the method suits it perfectly well.
A balanced diet can prevent dogs from various health problems. Follow the below-mentioned tips to give your dog wholesome nutrition.
- Firstly, we can provide a chicken meal as it helps the digestive system to break down. Chicken meal is one of the best foods for dogs, it provides high-quality meat protein.
- Secondly, try to add some potatoes to their diet because it provides carbohydrates and energy.
- Thirdly, for vitamins and minerals, we can add raspberries, cranberries, Blueberries. There are also vitamin and mineral supplements available on the market, try to make sure the formula is okay for your dog or better consult a Veterinarian.
- Finally, make sure the dog gets everything. While using readymade dog food make sure the formula covers all the proteins, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and so on. There are many premium dog foods available on the market.